Since its beginnings in Charlotte, North Carolina in 2000, Salsarita’s Fresh Mexican Grill has promised, “Mexican Food Done Right,” and is what it strives to achieve in all of its restaurants. And with Yooz, it has also done AP automation right! Here’s why our cloud-based, end-to-end invoice and payment processing system, seamlessly integrated with your legacy finance system/ERP is perfect for franchise companies.
Tim Carter, CFO, Salsarita’s, was experiencing these challenges with the company’s manual accounting system.
Any or all of them sound familiar?
- Each of the individual restaurants was manually receiving paper invoices—food and supply delivery people would leave paper invoices along with the delivery—then routing these paper invoices back to headquarters either via courier or overnight services every week. This process resulted in a large amount of lost invoices, wasted time spent hunting down invoices, and hundreds of dollars per week spent on document delivery.
- Even in the rare cases when a vendor sent an invoice electronically, the AP clerk still had to print out the document, process it, then re-scan it back into the system.
- The highly manual, paper-laded workflow resulted in a backlog of 6,000 documents per month waiting to be manually entered or scanned into the system, making for a very unpredictable month-end.
Carter adds, “The struggle with most franchisors is controlling overhead. You find yourself constantly asking, ‘How do you leverage and make efficient the human resources that you have?’ You don’t want to keep hiring additional people.” This can be particularly challenging with a manual AP process—as the volume of invoices increase you have no choice but to add staff to keep up.
He advises: “Instead, give your existing staff the automation tools to make their roles multi-faceted. Your finance—all departments for that matter—can run lean and take on other, more strategic, duties.”
- Prior to automating, the number of hours per day and days per week hunting down lost invoices and manually processing the documents were consuming one-third of the bookkeeper’s time. Now, she is freed up to assist the controller with more value-added tasks. And this has helped free the controller for research and other strategic activities.
- Month-end is more predictable and more accurate.
- The company is saving $20,000 per year no longer using courier or overnight services for document delivery. The documents are scanned at the restaurant level directly into the Yooz system upon receipt.
Added bonus: The franchisees quickly and enthusiastically embraced the Yooz solution. Instead of keeping track of all the paper invoices dropped off by suppliers, the restaurant managers scan the documents right into the Yooz system, accessed by HQ from the Cloud. No more lost or misplaced invoices. No more expensive courier and overnight deliveries of the paper documents. And no more hiring additional AP staff to keep up with growth.
One more thing to keep in mind. Other solutions that Tim Carter investigated proved to be “too much.” He needed something that was right-sized for the company and scalable as it grew; especially in consideration of some of the other technology initiatives they had going on at the same time. According to Carter, “Many providers offered a 500-pound solution for our 10-pound problem.”
Whether you are a new franchise company, or an established chain with tens or even hundreds of stores, Yooz, will be the perfect fit for your business. But don’t take our word for it. Ask these franchise companies—just a few that have also benefitted from Yooz AP automation.